You are viewing this forum as Guest , register and get access to all its feature , This is Free :-)
Xtreview Forum
December 11, 2017, 05:06:53 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New Xtreview Forum!

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another new (old) guy with a cooling question (duplicate post???)  (Read 8720 times)
HI There ; Do you find this message annoying? Why not make a post and get rid of it ?
RayTheRat

View Profile
« on: January 26, 2010, 06:09:17 am »

I apologize in advance in case this ends up posted twice.  The message posting system and I had a bit of an argument.

Yep.  I'm the fng here.  But I've been working with computers for a long, long time.  I'm retired after a career in hardware and software.

I'm building what I hope will be the "mother of all computers" (yeahrightsure) or at least one that can handle the workload I need AND not become overwhelmed by bloatware and other "bigger is better" software for at least a coupla years.

I'm using dual quad-core 2378 CPUs on a TYAN mobo with 8 gb memory each in a Cooler Master 932 full tower case and will use a solid state disk for the OS (Win 7 Pro) for 8 processing cores total.

All of these things are etched in stone so it's highly unlikely that anything will change as far as the basic configuration.  I already have all the hardware except for the cooling system and solid state disk (which is supposed to arrive today.)  Here's the url for the build diary.
http://www.raytherat.com/dreadnought/Welcome.html  I started this yesterday (after unboxing some of the components) and I'll keep it going until....well...until I finish.

I need cooling options for the CPUs (again, they're AMD Opteron 2378s) and I'd love to be able to add cooling to the "mechanical" hard drives.  That's where the heat in my current system comes from.

I initially wanted (and still do) a liquid cooling system.  I worked on liquid cooled mainframes back in the day so it's nothing really new to me.  I understand the pros and cons of the concept and if I can find a decent system without having to pay an arm and a leg for it, I'll head in that direction.  If no such animal exists (quality, reliability and price are the criteria) then I'll go with air cooling.  That case has plenty of fans and I can always add more, although I don't want so many that the thing hovers a foot off the ground from the prop wash.

I considered (and I'm still considering) a Zalman tower cooling system:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118015&cm_re=liquid_cooling-_-35-118-015-_-Product witch is about as spendy (~$260) as I want to go.  After reading the reviews and the installation manual, it appears that I'd have to run an upgraded pump in place of the "stock" unit.  There's a procedure in the manual that explains how to do this, so the manufacturer apparently is aware of the need for additional coolant flow.  (I've been dealing with stuff like this on race cars for quite a while and understand the need for high-volume coolant flow.) 

The Zalman tower just seems so kool that it might be worth the effort to upgrade the pump and add more cooling blocks for the 2nd proc and one for each hard drive.  That may be overkill, but I'd want to cool the procs since I plan to overclock 'em as much as I can while maintaining stability. 

There's one other cooling system option, although it's more than I wanted to spend...http://www.koolance.com/water-cooling/product_info.php?product_id=849 which has almost as much "koolness factor" as the Zalman tower, but it's almost 3 times the price...and that's without cooling blocks...pretty costly.

I'd sure appreciate any constructive input on this and I'll keep updating the build diary as I go.  (After retirement as a programmer/analyst, I've become an automotive photographer and "freelance web developer"...more or less by circumstance rather than by design, so adding photos to the diary is a piece 'o cake.)

Thanks in advance,

Ray the Rat in the high desert.
Xtreview
OC & OC & OC
Administrator
Xtreview member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 06:24:13 am »

Hello ; Welcome to the forum .
I have a few note on your setup ,
First dual socket system and computer will do well on multi - core optimized application like video encoding and 3d rendering , but not that well on gaming and daily use application , anyway u can't feel the boost from the additional cores .

Computer processor double in speed each 1.5 year so u will need an update often if u want to keep high  performance ,
Personally, I consider that most dual/quad core processor starting from core 2 duo and Phenom are pretty enough for over 5 years of software usage they are fast enough in all tasks , the only part which requires updates is the video card of course if you game often and look for the highest performance .

A note on Zalman cooling  : Do not waste your money on this shit get some decent air cooling or build your own water loop ,Zalman's performance is pretty poor.

I suggest : Dtek water block , MCP 655 Pump , Radiator thermochill pa120.3 and 3 silent fan .
RayTheRat

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 10:31:02 am »

Hello ; Welcome to the forum .
I have a few note on your setup ,
First dual socket system and computer will do well on multi - core optimized application like video encoding and 3d rendering , but not that well on gaming and daily use application , anyway u can't feel the boost from the additional cores .

I understand the issues with multiple processors.  I'm not looking for a magical increase in speed, but rather a system that won't fall to its knees when I add multiple tasks.

Computer processor double in speed each 1.5 year so u will need an update often if u want to keep high  performance ,
Personally, I consider that most dual/quad core processor starting from core 2 duo and Phenom are pretty enough for over 5 years of software usage they are fast enough in all tasks , the only part which requires updates is the video card of course if you game often and look for the highest performance .

Again, I know the pros and cons of multiple processors.  My dual core system has been ok, but just can't handle the load I put on it.  I have a XFX Radeon HD 4890 on order for the new box.

A note on Zalman cooling  : Do not waste your money on this shit get some decent air cooling or build your own water loop ,Zalman's performance is pretty poor.

I suggest : Dtek water block , MCP 655 Pump , Radiator thermochill pa120.3 and 3 silent fan .

I've read similar stuff about Zalman.  Mainly what I read was that the pumps supplied with the tower and other components were way too weak to do the job.  I'll look into the components you've listed.

RtR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: