You are viewing this forum as Guest , register and get access to all its feature , This is Free :-)
Xtreview Forum
October 23, 2017, 10:53:35 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New Xtreview Forum!

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with Zotac 630i motherboard, and Intel E5200 CPU. Optimization or OC Help  (Read 8720 times)
HI There ; Do you find this message annoying? Why not make a post and get rid of it ?
demontrace

View Profile
« on: December 26, 2008, 03:50:49 pm »

I'm kind of at a loss here as to overclocking, or AT LEAST optimizing my rig.  I have an Intel E5200 CPU, and a Zotac nForce 630i motherboard with the GeForce 7100 built in, although I'm not using that, I have a Gigabyte Radeon HD4670 video card.
I also have 2 gigs of Corsair PC2 6400 DDR2 800 RAM, model # is TWIN2X2048-6400C4.  Supposed to be rated at 4-4-4-12 at 2.1v

Anyway, I'm really confused at to whether or not my system is at it's optimal settings, and whether or not it can even be overclocked.  All I see is how easy it is to overclock an E5200, but I'm not sure if my motherboard will allow it.  My BIOS seems to be a lot different than the guides that I've been reading.  Like I don't even see a voltage control in my BIOS except for one for NB voltage control.

I can adjust the speed of the FSB, although it says it's linked with the memory, which apparently can be unlinked as well.  I can set the speed of the FSB, or the Memory.  I can't seem to change the multiple of 12.5 anywhere, and I'm not sure that I'd want to.  I can also change that FSB to memory ratio setting.

I'm partly confused by the memory speeds as well.  I have that CPU-Z program now, as well as RealTemp, and that Intel Burn In tester, although I haven't really used that burn in test until I actually get some work done here.

If I'm overclocking my FSB, and CPU, I am NOT supposed to have the memory speeds over 800Mhz no matter what?
In CPU-Z it says the DRAM frequency is running at 400Mhz, and the FSB:DRAM is 1:2 is that right?

Also, should I change the command rate from 2T to 1T?  I'm not sure if my memory can do that.  I just know the website said 4-4-4-12, but my previous BIOS settings were higher than that, like 5-5-5-18.  I at least changed that much so far, and the system runs fine.

I'm gonna stop here, and see what you guys have to say.  I'm just really confused, and I feel like I shouldn't be.  I'm thinking I can only go so far with this motherboard, unless there's some settings in it that cover the settings in other guides for other motherboards.  Maybe this motherboard is more advanced than I think, although I highly doubt it.
Xtreview
OC & OC & OC
Administrator
Xtreview member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 04:19:18 pm »

Welcome to the forum
If I'm overclocking my FSB, and CPU, I am NOT supposed to have the memory speeds over 800Mhz no matter what?

Nvidia based chipset like your's allow to set the FSB and the memory frequency independently , while Intel chipset is limited to 1:1 ratio or higher .
In your case u can set the memory frequency totally independently from the FSB .
In CPU-Z it says the DRAM frequency is running at 400Mhz, and the FSB:DRAM is 1:2 is that right?
In this case your memory frequency is 400x2 = 800 Mhz and your cpu system bus (FSB) is @ 200 mhz , since your E5200 come with 12.5 multiplier so your cpu run @ its default 200x12.5 = 2500 MHz .
Also, should I change the command rate from 2T to 1T?
1t command give always better performance , but In Intel based system the 1T command rate will severally limit your FSB and memory frequency , so it is better to leave it @ 2T .

I just know the website said 4-4-4-12, but my previous BIOS settings were higher than that, like 5-5-5-18.  I at least changed that much so far, and the system runs fine.
Those are the memory latencies , lower value = higher performance, according to corsair data sheet : http://www.corsair.com/_datasheets/TWIN2X2048-6400C4.pdf

your memory can do 800 Mhz with 4-4-4-12 (2.1V), so if possible u can set them manually and increase your memory voltage to 2.1v (note the default DDR2 voltage is only 1.8v and if your motherboard do not allow memory voltage increase then your memory can't run@ its default frequency or my cause some stability problem with 4-4-4-12 timing) ,
SO in your case u can set them manually (4-4-4-12)and check your memory stability with memory test , if its stable then you are lucky , if not then you will be limited to the 5-5-5-18 regime due to the lack of bios voltage settings.
Your motherboard do not allow cpu voltage tweak and your cpu overclock will be severely limited (expect from 2.8- to 3.2 Ghz in the best case). But there one solution : called hard mod voltage modding for the cpu and memory .
This require some soldering skills and in this case u will lose your motherboard warranty .
Maybe this motherboard is more advanced than I think, although I highly doubt it.
You are right , your motherboard is very limited . The motherboard is the key of successful and stable overclock , so ask for advice next time before making purchase .
Usually your cpu with stock cooler can do : 3.2 up to 3.6ghz , with after market cooler : 3.4 - 4 ghz or even more with some luck .
Moreover even with voltage modification your motherboard will not do over 400 Mhz FSB (usually 300-350 range) (even your cpu has a FSB wall @ 300-350 Mhz -- i already tested several most cap out @ 340 MHz , only few get as high as 380-390 Mhz), but this is pretty enough for 4 Ghz but require a lot of work (volt modding , cooling and checking ) .
My suggestion get a rid of it , there are many cheap motherboard which will overclock your cpu correctly , Ebay is your freind  Wink

Feel free to ask any question we are here to help
Zaarco
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 04:24:30 pm »

i had similar motherboard i searched for a hard mod but there was none  Sad, I ended up with selling this motherboard since my good old E6600 was overclocked to only 2.8 GHz in this motherboard and i looked for 3.2Ghz at least .
I got a Msi P35 motherboard and i am now happy with a full 3.8 Ghz , DDR 1000 memory and a tone of voltage settings , not bad as a deal since i sold this motherboard for 40 $ and got the MSI for 60 $  Grin
demontrace

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 05:48:27 pm »

Are there any good motherboards that would work with my current parts?

The Intel E5200 CPU
2 1GB sticks of PC2 6400 RAM
PCIE16x slot for my video card
and a PCI slot for my sound card

I'm kinda broke, so I'd hunt around a bit for a bargain on this motherboard.  It'd be nice if it could be upgraded with a better CPU, memory, or hard drives in the future, so I could do that instead of having to start all over again, but it doesn't have to be a requirement.  I'm guessing ASUS is one of the better brands?  It seems to be mentioned a lot.  Any others?

EDIT: Oh yeah, and if I decide to try pushing the FSB speed a bit on my computer, to try to get at least a little boost, should I keep the memory speed at 800Mhz?

In addition, do I need to change those memory ratios?  1:1 and the like.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 05:54:14 pm by demontrace » Logged
Xtreview
OC & OC & OC
Administrator
Xtreview member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 02:56:07 am »

I'm guessing ASUS is one of the better brands?  It seems to be mentioned a lot.  Any others?
Gigabyte , MSI , DFI ... are also a god motherboard .
Oh yeah, and if I decide to try pushing the FSB speed a bit on my computer, to try to get at least a little boost, should I keep the memory speed at 800Mhz?
In addition, do I need to change those memory ratios?  1:1 and the like.
Again let me recall that your processor has usually FSB wall (limit in FSB overclock) in the range 300-350 Mhz . in this case your FSB will be limited also in this range . u can keep your memory @ 800 Mhz or even overclock it if u want . in theory the best performance for Intel system is with 1:1 ratio (FSB / memory) .your cpu can do only in the best case 350-380 mhz so your memory will run (with 1:1 ratio) @ 750-780 Mhz , but anyway u can set your ratio to (4:5) or higher to bump your memory speed over 800 MHZ.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: